Building a website with WordPressAre you a website away from a bringing your business idea to life? If money is tight, you could build a WordPress website yourself. Many people think website design and development is the preserve of the techno-geek, but it is possible for even complete novices to use this totally free, beginner-friendly platform to get their website locked, loaded and live.
Really, we’re not just saying that. It is achievable.
These are five reasons we’d recommend building your own website with WordPress rather paying a small fortune for a simple site you could create yourself.
- It’s totally free
WordPress doesn’t cost a penny to download or install and there is a huge community out there who have designed free templates and themes you can use to get your website off the ground. While building a WordPress site needn’t cost a dime, there are some small costs you may have to pay to get your website live. That includes:
- Hosting – Every website needs hosting to store files. Free WordPress hosting is available at www.wordpress.com for up to 3GB of space, but there are a number of disadvantages associated with this option. That includes not being able to use plug-ins or custom themes, which really are vital. Paid-for WordPress hosting, which starts at just £2.49 per month, is money well spent.
- Domain name - If you go down the free route, your WordPress site will come with a free wordpress.com address. If you want something a bit snappier, you can pay for your own domain name by registering one HERE. What's more, if you buy a paid-for WordPress hosting account with Kualo and prepay for a year or more, you can even get a free domain!
- Design – There are hundreds of free website templates available that you can use, but if you want something more advanced/customised, you can purchase a premium template.
- Plug-ins and extensions – There are thousands of free plug-ins for your WordPress site and plenty of paid-for options you may also want to consider. You can see all the available plugins here.
- It’s extremely user-friendly
WordPress is so simple to use that as long as you know the basics, like how to use programs like Microsoft Word, you will be able to create just about anything, from simple brochures through to e-commerce sites. You can then use free plug-ins to add contact forms, subscription forms, image galleries and more all with a couple of clicks.
It is also super easy to install WordPress on your hosting account. With Kualo, you can do this with just a few clicks via the Softaculous Apps Installer on your hosting control panel.
- It’s suitable for any size of site
Building a WordPress site is not only an option for small businesses or basic blogs. Some of the world’s most visited websites, like eBay, Reuters and even NASA, are WordPress sites. That means there’s no limit to how much you and your website can grow.
- Your site will be ‘responsive’
In the last year, the number of people accessing the internet on mobile devices surpassed the number using desktop devices. So, if you’re website is not ‘responsive’ i.e. doesn’t work equally well on smaller screens, you’re missing out on more than half of the potential market. Building your site on WordPress ensures your site works equally well on screens of every size.
- Help is always at hand
The fact that so many webmasters, bloggers and business owners use WordPress to build their sites means there’s always plenty of help available if you get stuck. There are loads of resources out there online, including YouTube tutorials and helpful resources produced by WordPress itself.
If after reading this you feel ready to start building your website with WordPress - check our beginner guides and tutorials to help you in the process:
- Installing WordPress with Softaculous
- How to install and manage WordPress themes
- How to manage your plugins
We offer a low-cost web hosting service you can rely on and 24/7 WordPress expert support. Take a look at our range of popular plans and order online today.